Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Josh isn't home, man!

My family grew up next to a rental home in a vacation friendly area, so much of the time it was occupied by people just staying for the summer. Almost always they were polite and respectful of the family community they were living in, but we had a few terrible tenants.

One group that stayed was the typical "It's summer, let's get drunk!" and "It's after 3pm, let's get drunk" crowd. I was offered "a little something" almost daily...and I was 8 at the time. No one was ever sure of the exact number of people living there, because there were never less than 12 or 14 people coming out of the house in the morning. Every night there seemed to be people we'd never seen before, showing up, drinking, screaming, and some sleeping on the grass. Half of them didn't even know who's home they were going to...just a "wild place."

One night I woke up to someone knocking on our front door. I ignored it...I was only a kid at the time and I wasn't answering the door at 3 am. The knocking continued and increased till it woke up my very very heavy sleeping father. As he walked down the stairs the banging only increased, till it was shaking the windows in the house.

Right as my father got to the front room, their was a horrible "CRASH". I could tell glass had broken. Then I heard my father yelling. I ran downstairs thinking I had to call the police, and I could see my father standing at the front door. The front of our home was completely surrounded by huge windows, and the largest one was shattered as though a bomb had gone through it.

My father opened the front door to a man in his underwear. "What the F*&^ are you DOING?!!??" he said.

"Uh....sorry dude......wrong house. This isn't Josh's"

My father was speechless for a minute.

"I feel asleep out here, and I was trying to get back in the house"

Yeah. He'd fallen asleep in our neighbors lawn, in his underwear, and tried to get back in the house by breaking our windows out. And he was at the wrong house.

I've never seen my father so angry. The neighbors response? "We don't really KNOW him. He's not our friend, so it's not really our fault. He just showed up".

They still had to pay to fix and clean up after their non friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment